Ostrów Tumski: the oldest historical part of Wrocław, established on the then island within the bridge area on the Oder River near the estuary of Oława River. With its numerous branches, the river had formed islands here (“ostrowy” in the Old Polish language). Nowadays, Ostrów Tumski does not form an island anymore.
The gord on Ostrów Tumski, being the seat of the first members of the Piast dynasty, had probably been established in the 10th century. In the late 13th century, gord extension continued and it became a castle as in place of the flattened shaft, defensive wall was erected, equipped with at least two towers. After the year 1807, when Wrocław fortifications were demolished, within the process of liquidation of part of the moats, branch of the Oder River separating Ostrów from Szczytniki and Ołbin was also buried. From that moment, only its name “ostrów” referred to the fact that it used to form an island. During the Second World War, Ostrów suffered serious damage and only the Saint Cross Church remained in relatively good condition. Four houses on the Northern part of ul. Katedralna were added as late as at the turn of the 1970s and 1980s.